Week 13

24 Nov

What do students learn in schools?

What students learn is schools varies from school to school and sometimes even student to student. Sure, everyone would like to think that students are being taught the necessary skills they’ll need in order to succeed in the real world, “In the classroom, our educators are ready and waiting to give all students the knowledge and skills needed for success in college, careers, and life”(DC.gov) sadly this statement isn’t always true. We have proof that students aren’t learning the skills they need to succeed when we have high school graduates who is at an 8th grade reading level. The sad fact is a lot of students are just being taught how to take tests rather than being taught how to critically think and take knowledge that that have gained and apply it to real life situations. Also, like we have discussed in class education tends to go through trends as to which subjects are more valuable right now the more “important” subjects are math and science. Rather than focusing on specific subjects students need to have an education that makes them a well rounded person who is able to function and critically think and problem solve in the real world. How do we do this? Is one subject more important than another one? How do we really assess and make sure that students will be able to function well in society?

What are some models of direct instruction?
“Direct instruction is used to describe a lesson where the teacher has control” (Moore). Basically the teacher lectures at their students and then models what they want the students to do, or walks them through step by step how to do a problem. Picture that big lecture hall in college, with the teacher who has a slide show and a monotone voice and you’ve got direct instruction. It’s really boring and in all honesty it doesn’t require the learner to really think about anything. All they have to do is listen, memorize and be able to regurgitate the step by step process they saw the teacher preform. So really there isn’t too much learning going on, mostly its memorization.

What are some models of indirect instruction?
Indirect instruction is the opposite of direct instruction. It is more hands on, students are allowed to experiment and ask questions that lead to them discovering the answers or solving the problems either by themselves or with their peers. The teacher is more of a guide, there to help when needed and answer questions. Instead of giving students the answer or teaching them a step by step process teachers guide students in the correct direction by doing things like asking questions. This type of teaching allows students to collaborate together teaching them social skills, group management skills, and critical thinking skills. An example of indirect instruction would be: group discussions or group activities. Indirect instruction is something that I wish I was exposed to earlier in life. I didn’t really get exposed to it until high school and then a lot more in college. I have issues with thinking critically and thinking “outside the box” and I think if I had been taught using indirect method earlier in life I would be more skilled at problem solving and critical thinking.

Brainstorm ideas of authentic assessments that you may use that are appropriate for a content area that you might teach as well as developmentally appropriate for your future students:

I always stress about coming up with ideas on how to assess my students that doesn’t involve giving a test. I find tests boring and so un-original, and like I’ve said before I’m a horrible test taker and I get test anxiety so as a future teacher I would like to spare my students that stress as much as possible. I know that tests will have to be given and taken and I know that my students will have to pass state tests because of this obviously I won’t never give any tests but in situations where I can be more creative with assessments I will take advantage of it.  Some possible ideas I have:

Project based assessments: Anything to get the students using their hands and imaginations. So for example in a 3rd grade classroom for science I would assign each student a specific bug or animal study more in depth about, and then come up with some creative idea to present their information to the class. Either a poster board, or a slide show, or an art project.

Story writing: I would have the students write a creative story that we would develop over a few weeks. It could start with just a short paragraph for them to get their creative juices flowing and then get longer from there.

Sources:

-Moore , D. (n.d.). Direct instruction: Targeted strategies for student success . 21(414)

-www.DC.gov

Thoughts of a Future Teacher

Just another UMW Blogs weblog