Week 3. Copyright.

01 Feb

To find the picture of the Washington Monument that I used I went to google search and used the advanced search tool and clicked on “labeled for reuse”. Then I typed in “a famous building in Washington DC” and a few different pictures came up but not as many as I actually thought would, which was a little frustrating but oh well. It amazes me how many pictures that had nothing to do with Washington D.C. came up. For example there was a picture of a couple in front of a lake on their wedding day……how random is that?

Here is my picture:

7037093489_04eef7a2f5_o
Modeling this skill to students is very important because students need to take responsibility for what they use in their work. They also need to develop this skill because this skill is something that they will need to use in their lives even after they have graduated from school. Students need to be able to find their own sources, they also need to know which sources can be reused and which sources can not be reused. Up until this point in my school career I had no idea that I couldn’t just take any picture off of google that I wanted to and I’m in graduate school. How come no one ever taught me that? I find that very interesting and a bit alarming. As teachers our “goal is the have students think broadly and deeply using skills, behaviors and dispositions that they will need for a lifetime” (Coffman p. 25). I look at this skill as being a useful skill that I will keep using now that it has been taught to me but again I ask, why wasn’t I taught it earlier? Copyright issues are a huge deal. I was constantly reminded when writing a paper to site my sources of risk getting a failing grade or even worse getting kicked out of school, but no one eve said anything about copyrighting pictures off of google. As teachers we need to make sure that we are teaching our students the right information that will help them be successful in their lives.

All in all I found this activity very useful and insightful. I became aware of things that I didn’t even know existed like google’s advanced search tool. I also became more aware of copyright information and tools that are available to me.

Resources:

1. NCinDC (photographer). (2011). Retrieved from:

monument/fdr

2. Coffman, T. (2013). Using inquiry in the classroom. (2 ed.). New York, NY: Rowman & Littlefield Education.

4 Responses

1. nkelley88 says:

Thanks for your comments! My teachers never scanned my papers but I did have a couple of classes that made me turn papers into “tunitin.com” which checks to see if the paper is plagiarized.

2. nkelley88 says:

That’s interesting. I’ll have to remember to be more specific in my searches, thanks for the tip!

3. bwebber says:

I also was surprised by how many random pictures popped up initially when I searched for ‘a monument in Washington DC’ I found it much easier to find what I was looking for to use more specific search terms, like “the White House.’

4. hyoung914 says:

I also had picture show up of a couple at a Nationals baseball game and a random guy in front of a lot of monuments! It was kind of strange but I guess it really is true that once it’s on the internet, it’s always there. I agree that it’s important for the teacher to be knowledgeable on copyright issues in order to teach our students correctly. Did your teachers ever use the system that they scan your paper into and it comes back to emails them if it was plagarized?

Thoughts of a Future Teacher

Just another UMW Blogs weblog