Week 4. Information Literacy and Creativity.

08 Feb

Let me start by saying this: I’m 24 years old. I’ve grown up with the internet at my finger tips. Computers have been part of my daily life pretty much since the age of about 10. I consider myself to be pretty intelligent when it comes to the internet and technology and I HATED the Scratch program. I had the most difficult time using scratch. It wasn’t easy to use even after looking at the videos, I never actually figured out how to change the background color and my video is the most simplest thing in the world but at least I tried. Even though it is supposedly a super easy program to use I found it very frustrating and hard to follow and understand. I’ve never been very good at creating nor have I ever had the desire to create my own videos, so I found the scratch program very frustrating, difficult and annoying. I did watch some youtube videos to help me understand the program a bit better and I even enlisted the help of my husband and my good friend. My husband is an IT and writes computer codes and my friend has her degree in graphic design. I think the idea of scratch is a very neat and creative idea but I truly believe that even though it is a “simple” tool, it still isn’t for everyone. I didn’t find it useful for myself personally. I can see how it could be possibly be used in a classroom if a teacher wanted to create a plant cycle video that students can interact with or even if the teacher wanted to let the students create their own video for a project I believe this program could be very useful. However, if a teacher is going to use this program in their classroom they need to make sure they have extensive knowledge of the program, can explain how to use the program very, very well, and can remain very patient as their students learn the program, the teacher should also be prepared to have this project take up a lot of time. I personally do not plan on using this in my future classroom for a few different reasons 1. I don’t know how to work it  2. It takes up way too much time to even do the simplest animation and 3. I don’t know how it would be useful in a lesson plan. What would my students really gain from it?

I did find the Technorati website interesting and very useful. I think it would be a great tool to use in the classroom or at least expose students to because they can gain a lot of information from it. Also, since we have to use twitter for this class it got me wondering how as a teacher I could use twitter in my classroom? I don’t know if it would be possible especially since I want to teach at the elementary level but at least it got me thinking because I never would have considered twitter before.

Looking at other classmates blogs I found that I wasn’t the only one who was frustrated and annoyed. I have to admit, that made me feel better because I felt pretty stupid while using the program. Angela and Cassie expressed many of the same issues I did: not being able to get things to work, taking a lot of time to do some simple things, and not being able to change the background color were just a few of the same issues we had in common. I’m glad it wasn’t just me.

3 Responses

1. nkelley88 says:

sorry this is such a late comment back, I never got a notification about your post!

I like your idea of using twitter for English. It’s an interesting idea that I never thought of (mainly because I’m not a big fan of twitter. haha).

Thanks for the comment!

2. acrerie says:

Amen! I am also 24 years old, and like you, I expected Scratch to be much easier. You may not plan on using it in your classroom (I don’t think I will either), but I think it does have instructional merit. It IS very frustrating, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. When students finally are able to create something successfully, think of how accomplished they will feel and how much patience and discipline that effort required. Some students would really excel at Scratch, and love doing it, so I think there is some benefit to it. (but I, personally, will never use it ever again).

Twitter is a great classroom tool, and much simpler to use. As an English teacher, I plan on using Twitter to teach short-poems (haikus specifically). But Twitter can be used in any content area, let’s stick with that!

3. cwalker2309 says:

I also did not have a Twitter account before this class. I think I will use it as a resource for me more than in my classroom because of the age of my students.
    I can understand your frustration with Scratch! It also took me awhile to figure out the animation and how to get the sprites to move where and HOW I wanted them to. I just wanted to let you know how to change the background. Click on the “Stage” icon where the sprites are located. Then click the “background” tab at the top of the scripts box and then you can edit the background. I hope this helps!

Thoughts of a Future Teacher

Just another UMW Blogs weblog